Subject: bug#10348: 24.0.92; Save and load window states

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 10:27:30 +0100

> No, it would address this particular bug-report, but similar problems
 > may reappear at any time.

Yes.  Someone could do (set-window-dedicated-p nil (selected-window)).

 >> IIUC this is what desktop does.  The problem is rather that we would
 >> have to distinguish between values needed for intra-session purposes and
 >> those that make sense for inter-session purposes too.
 >
 > I'm not sure distinguishing the two is needed (especially for
 > window-state-*).

So your proposed `window-state-saved-parameters' would never save and
restore a thing like the "clone-of" parameter?

 >> You mean that anyone who misuses that variable (by including, for
 >> example, a parameter that actually stores a window object as value)
 >> would be on her own?
 >
 > I don't see any harm in it.

Any application setting a window parameter to some non-standard value
would be held responsible for this.  Fine with me, but ...

 >> Doesn't look so attractive to me since the effect will only be seen in
 >> a new session, some time after the problematic save happened.
 >
 > Not if we make this variable specify which parameters to include in
 > window-states, rather than only which parameters to write to a file.
 > Or maybe I don't understand the problem you're referring to.

The window-state-* functions are primarily intended for inter-session
use.  So if we can save a bad value, the bug will be usually detected
when it's too late.

 >>> After all the window-configurations don't save&restore
 >>> window parameters.
 >> Currently they do (unless you modify them destructively).  Otherwise,
 >> side windows and atomic windows won't work.
 >
 > Oh, I see that's another change in Emacs-24.  It's actually problematic
 > because set-window-parameter does operate destructively,

`set-window-parameter' is harmless.  The problem occurs only if you
modify a window parameter's value destructively.

 > so it makes the
 > semantics rather irregular.

It's precisely the same as for the dedicated status of a window.

martin