Subject: bug#10340: 24.0.91; Error when using LilyPond-command-view (lilypond-mode.el) on Win7

From: Thorsten NaN <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 11:27:42 +0100

Hello maintainers,
(sorry, but I could not load lilypond when starting up with emacs
-Q, so I use my regular Emacs).

I get an error when I use C-c C-s (LilyPond-command-view) on a .ly file
in a buffer in lilypond-mode (version 2.5.20).

See my Stackoverflow question for more info:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8566045/emacs-lisp-problems-with-filename-string-on-win7

Recipe:
runemacs
C-x C-f ~/.emacs.d/org/projects/sandbox/2test.ly
C-c C-l (LilyPond-command-lilypond)
C-c C-s (LilyPond-command-view)

Acrobat Readers starts, but gives an error message (... file can't be
found...). In the *Maven Compile* buffer I find:

-*- mode: compilation; default-directory:
"~/.emacs.d/org/projects/sandbox/" -*-
Compilation started at Wed Dec 21 10:59:52
AcroRd32 "c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/org/projects/sandbox/2test".pdf
Compilation exited abnormally with code 1 at Wed Dec 21 11:00:03

The problem is in the way the file-name string is constructed. The second
double-quote in the string should be at the very end of the string
(.pdf"), or there should be no double-quotes at all.

I use openwith.el, but when deactivating openwith-mode, I get exactly
the same error. The problem seems to be in files.el, but I'm not sure,
might be lilypond specific too.

With M-x toggle-debug-on-error on, the debugger is not triggered by this,
the problem is a badly constructed file-name string given to AcroRd32.

cheers
Thorsten

PS 1
I will be offline for 2 weeks from now.

PS 2
One observation with regards to openwith.el: For the customizable
variable: openwith-associations it should be possible to give a
conditional value (in form of a function?) depending on system-type
(evince on gnu/linux, AcroRd32 on windows-nt, e.g.).

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2011-11-22 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/include --ldflags
-LD:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/lib'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: DEU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: LilyPond

Minor modes in effect:
  yas/global-mode: t
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  autopair-mode: t
  autopair-global-mode: t
  openwith-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x 3 C-x d <backspace> o r RET p r RET s a RET RET
n f C-c C-l C-c C-s M-x r e p o r <tab> RET

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Next command will be on the master file
Error during redisplay: (invalid-regexp "Unmatched ( or \\(") [8 times]
Compilation finished
Error during redisplay: (invalid-regexp "Unmatched ( or \\(")
Next command will be on the master file
Error during redisplay: (invalid-regexp "Unmatched ( or \\(")
Compilation exited abnormally with code 1
Error during redisplay: (invalid-regexp "Unmatched ( or \\(")
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer.

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/ess-5.13/lisp/ess-rutils hides
~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/ess-rutils
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/ess-5.13/lisp/ess-rdired hides
~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/ess-rdired
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/ess-5.13/lisp/ess-eldoc hides
~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/ess-eldoc
~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/iimage hides c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/iimage
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/json hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/g-client/json
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/lyqi-0.2.5/lyqi-mode hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/nsceaux-lyqi-ea7b809/lyqi-mode
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/lyqi-0.2.5/lyqi-midi hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/nsceaux-lyqi-ea7b809/lyqi-midi
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/cedet/pulse hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/common/pulse
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/cedet/mode-local hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/common/mode-local
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/cedet/inversion hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/common/inversion
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/ezimage hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/common/ezimage
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/cedet/data-debug hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/common/data-debug
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/cedet/cedet hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/common/cedet
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/cedet/cedet-idutils hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/common/cedet-idutils
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/cedet/cedet-global hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/common/cedet-global
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/cedet/cedet-files hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/common/cedet-files
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/cedet/cedet-cscope hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/common/cedet-cscope
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/cedet/ede hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/ede/ede
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/eieio/eieio
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-speedbar hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/eieio/eieio-speedbar
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-opt hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/eieio/eieio-opt
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-datadebug hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/eieio/eieio-datadebug
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-custom hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/eieio/eieio-custom
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-base hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/eieio/eieio-base
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/emacs-lisp/chart hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/eieio/chart
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/cedet/semantic hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/semantic/semantic
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.91/lisp/cedet/srecode hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/cedet-1.0pre7/srecode/srecode
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/anything/anything-config/anything-show-completion
hides
c:/Users/tj2/.emacs.d/site-lisp/anything/anything-config/extensions/anything-show-completion

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message sendmail mail-extr help-mode view emacsbug
tex-mode latexenc framepop reporter org-toc org-secretary org-panel
org-invoice org-taskjuggler org-w3m org-wl org-vm org-special-blocks
org-rmail org-protocol org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-habit org-jsinfo
org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks org-info org-id
org-gnus org-docview org-ctags org-crypt org-bibtex bibtex yasnippet
bbdb-mua bbdb-com bbdb-autoloads bbdb iimage image-file maxframe eldoc
ob-lilypond ob-fomus ob-plantuml ob-sh ob-clojure ob-gnuplot ob-ruby
ob-python ob-R ob-ledger ob-ditaa ob-picolisp ob-dot winner rcirc time
windmove paren delsel autopair pylookup ido semantic-tag-folding
semantic-decorate-mode semantic-util-modes working fame
semantic-decorate pulse ensime ensime-undo ensime-refactor
ensime-builder ensime-debug ensime-inf ensime-sbt ensime-auto-complete
ensime-config scala-mode-feature scala-mode-inf scala-mode-ui
scala-mode-fontlock scala-mode-indent scala-mode-navigation
scala-mode-lib scala-mode-variables scala-mode-constants scala-mode
scala-mode-auto lilypond-mode fomus rebox2 who-calls typing openwith sms
org-contacts filesets dired+ dired-x dired-aux mwe-log-commands
ess-rutils ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme browse-url ess-menu ess-swv
ess-noweb noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l
ess-sas-a ess-arc-d ess-vst-d ess-xls-d ess-lsp-l ess-sta-d ess-sta-l
cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6w-d ess-sp4-d ess-sp3-d ess-r-d
ess-r-args ess-s-l ess-inf ess-utils ess-mode noweb-mode ess ess-custom
ess-compat ess-site org-google-weather solar cal-dst google-weather
url-cache org-location-google-maps org-agenda google-maps
google-maps-static google-maps-geocode google-maps-base json printing
ps-print ps-def lpr ess-eldoc undo-tree elisp-format semantic-el
find-func semantic-bovine bovine-debug semantic-debug newcomment
auto-indent-mode magit org2blog metaweblog org ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-compat org-entities org-macs
noutline outline cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs nnir gnus-sum nnoo
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader mail-utils org-install xml-rpc timezone url-http tls url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history mailcap
url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-cookie
url-util url-parse auth-source gnus-util password-cache url-gw url-vars
mm-util mail-prsvr xml plantuml-mode psvn log-edit pcvs-util add-log
diff-mode pp elp ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-mult ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util dired dired-tar redshank-loader keywiz gamegrid
auto-complete popup python-pylint python-pep8 derived lambda-mode
easy-mmode ipython executable shell pcomplete python-mode info-look info
ansi-color taskjuggler-mode skeleton zoom-frm frame-cmds frame-fns avoid
pastie winring ecb warnings ecb-symboldef ecb-analyse ecb-compatibility
ecb-winman-support ecb-autogen autoload ecb-tod ecb-cycle ecb-eshell
ecb-help ecb-jde ecb-method-browser hideshow ecb-semantic
ecb-file-browser ecb-speedbar ecb-layout compile comint
ecb-create-layout edmacro kmacro advice advice-preload ecb-compilation
ecb-common-browser speedbar sb-image dframe ecb-navigate ecb-mode-line
ecb-face tree-buffer regexp-opt help-fns ecb-upgrade ecb-cedet-wrapper
semanticdb-mode semanticdb-find semanticdb-ref semantic-analyze
semantic-scope semantic-analyze-fcn semantic-sort semanticdb-el
semanticdb eieio-base assoc semantic-format ezimage semantic-tag
semantic-fw semantic-loaddefs inversion semantic-ctxt
semantic/util-modes easymenu semantic/util semantic semantic/tag
semantic/lex semantic/fw loaddefs eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cconv macroexp mode-local wid-edit ecb-util ring thingatpt cl silentcomp
cedet-contrib cedet time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer button faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
multi-tty emacs)