Subject: Re: bug#10334: 24.0.92; Doc fix

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 23:09:50 +0200

> Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 19:56:37 +0100
> From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
> 
> Here's a documentation patch:

Thanks.

>   One reason to create a new buffer is to use it for making temporary
> -notes.  If you try to save it, Emacs asks for the file name to use.
> -The default value of the variable @code{major-mode} determines the new
> -buffer's major mode; the default value is Fundamental mode.  @xref{Major
> -Modes}.
> +notes.  The default value of the variable @code{major-mode} determines
> +the new buffer's major mode; the default value is Fundamental mode.
> +@xref{Major Modes}.  If you try to save it, Emacs asks for the file
> +name to use, and the major mode is then re-established, based on that
> +file name.

This change makes the text harder to understand.  Previously, it was
clear that "it" in "If you try to save it" referred to the new buffer,
because that sentence directly followed the one which talked about
creating a new buffer.  By moving "If you try to save it", you made
"it" ambiguous: now it's unclear what it refers to; it could be the
major mode, for example.

Here's what I think is a better version:

 One reason to create a new buffer is to use it for making temporary
 notes.  If you try to save it, Emacs asks for the file name to use.
 The default value of the variable @code{major-mode} determines the
 new buffer's major mode; the default value is Fundamental mode
 (@pxref{Major Modes}).  However, the file name you give when saving
 the buffer may cause Emacs to change the buffer's major mode as
 appropriate for that file name.