Subject: bug#1033: Indic language rendering problem

From: "Parag N(पराग़)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:24:18 +0530

Hi,
      When I tried to view unicode text with emacs23.0.60 snapshot of date
20080801, I see rendering is broken. Combinations of characters are
appearing broken. I have comparsion done on Fedora 10 Beta system with gedit
application. Following is snapshot image link of both applications when
tried to view same file.
 http://paragn.fedorapeople.org/emacs-23.0.60vsgedit-2.23.92.rendering.png
       I tried to set Devanagari but no effects on loaded text file to
correct broken combinations. Also, output of Hello text from
Options->MULE->Multi-lingual Text is broken for Indian languages.
       This is first time I am reporting bug for emacs. If needed please ask
for more input. Sorry If I have not followed any guidelines for reporting
bug ro emacs bugs list.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.0)
of 2008-09-18 on localhost
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10500000
configured using `configure  '--build=i386-redhat-linux-gnu'
'--host=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' '--target=i386-redhat-linux-gnu'
'--program-prefix=' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin'
'--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--datadir=/usr/share'
'--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec'
'--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/usr/com' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' 'build_alias=i386-redhat-linux-gnu'
'host_alias=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' 'target_alias=i386-redhat-linux-gnu'
'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32 -march=i386
-mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables''

Important settings:
 value of $LC_ALL: nil
 value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
 value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
 value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
 value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
 value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
 value of $LC_TIME: nil
 value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
 value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
 locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
 default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
 tooltip-mode: t
 tool-bar-mode: t
 mouse-wheel-mode: t
 menu-bar-mode: t
 file-name-shadow-mode: t
 global-font-lock-mode: t
 font-lock-mode: t
 blink-cursor-mode: t
 global-auto-composition-mode: t
 auto-composition-mode: t
 auto-encryption-mode: t
 auto-compression-mode: t
 line-number-mode: t
 transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-5>
<mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5>
<double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5>
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5>
<triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5>
<double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5>
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar>
<help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/focus-init.el
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/git-init.el (source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/igrep-init.el
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/php-mode-init.el
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/po-mode-init.el
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/rpm-spec-mode-init.el
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/rpmdev-init.el
(source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Regards,
Parag.