Subject: bug#10326: closed (Re: bug#10326: Need to document %load-path, %load-compiled-path, and add %search-load-compiled-path and load-compiled-from-path to API)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 22:24:01 +0000

Your bug report

#10326: Need to document %load-path, %load-compiled-path, and add %search-load-compiled-path and load-compiled-from-path to API

which was filed against the guile package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
10326: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10326
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#10326: Need to document %load-path, %load-compiled-path, and add %search-load-compiled-path and load-compiled-from-path to API
From: Andy Wingo <[email-masked]>
To: Ian Hulin <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 23:22:26 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Fri 27 Jan 2012 13:20, Andy Wingo <[email-masked]> writes:

>> "As with Scheme files, Guile searches a path to find compiled .go
>> files, the %load-compiled-path. By default, this path has two entries:
>> a path for Guile's files, and a path for site packages. You should
>> install your .go files into the latter. Currently there is no
>> procedure to get at this path, which is probably a bug."
>
> I'll see about fixing this.

Added %site-ccache-dir, and updated docs.

Andy
-- 
http://wingolog.org/

Subject: Need to document %load-path, %load-compiled-path, and add %search-load-compiled-path and load-compiled-from-path to API
From: Ian Hulin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 15:00:19 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Section 6.17.6 of the manual could do with a sections for %load-path
and %load-compiled-path.

e.g.
— Variable: %load-path

    The list of directories which will currently be searched by
load-from-path, primitive-load-path and %search-load-path to locate a
scheme file.

- Variable: %load-compiled-path

    The list of directories which will currently be searched by
load-compiled-from-path and %search-load-compiled-path to locate a
compiled scheme file.

Also, Guile really needs to provide a %search-load-compiled-path and a
load-compiled-from-path, it would have been useful in LilyPond code, and
Manual Section 4.7 (discussing site locations says)
"As with Scheme files, Guile searches a path to find compiled .go
files, the %load-compiled-path. By default, this path has two entries:
a path for Guile's files, and a path for site packages. You should
install your .go files into the latter. Currently there is no
procedure to get at this path, which is probably a bug."

— Scheme Procedure: %search-load-compiled-path filename
— C Function: scm_sys_search_load_compiled_path (filename)

    Search %load-compiled-path for the file named filename, which must
be readable by the current user. If filename is found in the list of
paths to search or is an absolute pathname, return its full pathname.
Otherwise, return #f.

— Scheme Procedure: load-compiled-from-path filename

    Similar to load-compiled, but searches for filename in the
compiled load paths.