Subject: Re: bug#10326: Need to document %load-path, %load-compiled-path, and add %search-load-compiled-path and load-compiled-from-path to API

From: Andy Wingo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 13:20:08 +0100

Hi Ian,

Thank you for the bug report.  As a result of this report we have added
a fair amount of documentation and reorganized other things.

In particular, see the new sections:

  Modules and the File System
  Installing Site Packages
  Load Paths

On Mon 19 Dec 2011 16:00, Ian Hulin <[email-masked]> writes:

> - Variable: %load-compiled-path
>
>     The list of directories which will currently be searched by
> load-compiled-from-path and %search-load-compiled-path to locate a
> compiled scheme file.

There is no load-compiled-from-path or %search-load-compiled-path.
There is, however, search-path and %load-compiled-path.

Guile doesn't simply look for compiled files: it looks for compiled
files that correspond to source files.  They could be in the
load-compiled path or in the fallback path.  The search rules are
different here -- see "Load Paths" and "Compilation", for details.
Auto-compilation only happens with the fallback path.

Do you still think that load-compiled-from-path would be useful to you?
If everything is set up correctly, load-from-path should be sufficient,
as it would find the corresponding compiled file.

> "As with Scheme files, Guile searches a path to find compiled .go
> files, the %load-compiled-path. By default, this path has two entries:
> a path for Guile's files, and a path for site packages. You should
> install your .go files into the latter. Currently there is no
> procedure to get at this path, which is probably a bug."

I'll see about fixing this.

Andy
-- 
http://wingolog.org/