Subject: Re: bug#10324: [Platform-testers] Automake 1.11.1b test release

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 20:45:44 +0100

Hi Peter,

You wrote in
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-automake/2011-12/msg00055.html>:
> Oh crap, you are crossing over from Cygwin without telling the build
> system, right? Or what is your $build if you don't specify --host?
> I should have known that, given that it was you... I expect weird
> stuff like this to happen when stunts like that are pulled. Even if
> *you* engage in such activities, please don't expect anyone else to
> fix the resulting weirdness.

configure is able to deduce the build system by itself.

I built that automake prerelease once with

  ./configure --host=i586-pc-mingw32 --prefix=/usr/local/msvc

and once with

  ./configure --host=i586-pc-mingw32 --build=i686-pc-cygwin --prefix=/usr/local/msvc

and the results (make and "make check") were exactly the same, except for

  1) the value of @build_alias@ (empty in the first case, i686-pc-cygwin in the
     second case). That's normal, and that's why autoconf macros and makefiles
     generally use @build@, not @build_alias@.

  2) a spurious (not reproducible) crash of bash during the execution of
     parallel-am3.test.

I'm not performing "stunts" when I'm relying on the correct default value
of @build@.

Bruno