Subject: Re: bug#10321: 24.0.92; Byte-compilation for emacs-snapshot failed!

From: Laura Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 16:02:27 -0500

>>>>> "Stefan" == Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

    >> Tried to install emacs-snapshot from ppa:cassou/emacs.  apt-get says:
    >> !! Byte-compilation for emacs-snapshot failed!
    >> !! This indicates a bug in one of the add-on packages
    >> !! installed on your system, or a bug in Emacs itself.
    >> !! Please file a bug report against emacs-snapshot
    >> !! and attach the file /tmp/emacs-snapshot.rrQsds
    >> dpkg: error processing emacs-snapshot (--configure):
    >> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

    >> Here is the tmp file:

    Stefan> Please report it to Debian, and remind them that this
    Stefan> "prevent installation for mere byte-compilation errors" is a
    Stefan> bad idea and should at least be configurable by the user (I
    Stefan> personally edit /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-install by
    Stefan> hand, but it needs to be re-edited every time it gets
    Stefan> updated, which is a pain in the youknowwhat).

I have fixed the problem for myself by removing the flim package.  I was
unsuccessful in figuring out why flim was installed in the first place, or
what to test to make sure that removing flim hasn't broken anything, but
so far I haven't seen any problems.

The Debian package manager didn't really prevent installation of
emacs-snapshot, it just left it in an "unconfigured" state.  Which I
think is the right thing to do.

-- 
Laura   (mailto:[email-masked], twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139   
http://www.laymusic.org/ http://www.serpentpublications.org

I had to breathe more frequently (but take smaller breaths), but also
to use all the air I had in reserve, and not mistake the lack of
oxygen for the need to breathe.

Eric Haas (on learning Baroque flute after playing oboe)