Subject: Re: bug#1032: foreground-color in default-frame-alist affects tooltips, while background-color does not

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:24:17 +0100

> The other issue, about tooltip-show modifying
 > tooltip-frame-parameters, seems deliberate. tooltip.el defines a
 > function tooltip-set-param with the explicit intent of modifying its
 > argument alist, and `tooltip-show' copies `tooltip-frame-parameters'
 > with copy-sequence, instead of copy-alist, and then uses
 > `tooltip-set-param' on it.

This doesn't make sense to me.  When `tooltip-show' calls `x-show-tip'
it does so with _params_ and not with `tooltip-frame-parameters'.
What's the reason to do the `copy-sequence' in the first place?  Maybe
it's all about the 'left or 'top paramters.

 > I can only imagine the idea was that `tooltip-frame-parameters' should
 > not contain misleading (fore|back)ground-color entries that weren't
 > really applied while creating the tooltip. Still, it seems weird to
 > modify under-the-hood a customizable variable.

At least, such a reset should occur at the time the variable is
customized and not when the tooltip is displayed.

BTW, a related issue: When I, for example, use the mouse for popping up

	"Tools->Version Control->Show History"
	
from the menubar I get the tooltip

     "List the change log of the current fileset in a window"

When I now move the mouse to the next menu entry

      "Tools->Version Control->Update ChangeLog"

the old tooltip remains displayed.  Do you see that?  Is that a w32-only
problem?

martin