Subject: bug#1032 closed by "Juanma Barranquero" <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#1032: foreground-color in default-frame-alist affects tooltips, while background-color does not)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs,w32 package:

#1032: foreground-color in default-frame-alist affects tooltips, while background-color does not

It has been closed by "Juanma Barranquero" <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact "Juanma Barranquero" <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
1032: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1032
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems
>From [email-masked] Wed Oct 29 18:43:30 2008
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 02:43:27 +0100
From: "Juanma Barranquero" <[email-masked]>
To: "martin rudalics" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: bug#1032: foreground-color in default-frame-alist affects tooltips, while background-color does not
Cc: [email-masked]

Martin, I've fixed #1032 with a variant of the patch you sent.

The other issue, about tooltip-show modifying
tooltip-frame-parameters, seems deliberate. tooltip.el defines a
function tooltip-set-param with the explicit intent of modifying its
argument alist, and `tooltip-show' copies `tooltip-frame-parameters'
with copy-sequence, instead of copy-alist, and then uses
`tooltip-set-param' on it.

I can only imagine the idea was that `tooltip-frame-parameters' should
not contain misleading (fore|back)ground-color entries that weren't
really applied while creating the tooltip. Still, it seems weird to
modify under-the-hood a customizable variable.

             Juanma

>From [email-masked] Fri Sep 26 01:40:22 2008
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 10:40:10 +0200
From: "Juanma Barranquero" <[email-masked]>
To: Bug-Gnu-Emacs <[email-masked]>
Subject: foreground-color in default-frame-alist affects tooltips, while background-color does not

Package: emacs,w32
Version: 23.0.60

default-frame-alist affects tooltips on Windows, but the background of
the tooltip window is not affected.

With

(setq default-frame-alist
      '((background-mode  . dark)
	(background-color . "black")
	(foreground-color . "white")))

the tooltip text foreground is white, but the background is still the
default lightyellow, so the text is not visible.