Subject: bug#10319: 24.0.92; doc string of `file-remote-p'

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 09:33:20 +0100

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> This part means nothing, and is misleading:
>  
> "`file-remote-p' will never open a connection on its own."
>  
> What could "on its own" possibly mean here.  This function can invoke a
> handler, which can open a connection.  So this function can open a
> connection.  We don't distinguish what the implementation of a function
> does from what the function does.  If the code in the body of
> `file-remote-p' ends up opening a connection, then `file-remote-p' opens
> a connection.

the intention is exactly as said: any implementation of `file-remote-p'
shall not open a new remote connection, if it is not established yet.

> You are probably trying to say something useful here (what?), but so far
> you have not said anything useful by this sentence.  And it misleads.

The wording comes from me. If there are better ways to say this, please
propose. I'm not a native English speaker.

Best regards, Michael.