Subject: bug#10319: closed (Re: bug#10319: 24.0.92; doc string of `file-remote-p')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 18:38:02 +0000

Your bug report

#10319: 24.0.92; doc string of `file-remote-p'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
10319: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10319
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#10319: 24.0.92; doc string of `file-remote-p'
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 19:34:58 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Sounds like everything is your wording. Do you want to commit it under
>> your name?
>
> Please commit it for me.  You can use my name if you like.  Thx.

Done.

Thanks again, and best regards, Michael.

Subject: 24.0.92; doc string of `file-remote-p'
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 18:17:38 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This part means nothing, and is misleading:
 
"`file-remote-p' will never open a connection on its own."
 
What could "on its own" possibly mean here.  This function can invoke a
handler, which can open a connection.  So this function can open a
connection.  We don't distinguish what the implementation of a function
does from what the function does.  If the code in the body of
`file-remote-p' ends up opening a connection, then `file-remote-p' opens
a connection.
 
You are probably trying to say something useful here (what?), but so far
you have not said anything useful by this sentence.  And it misleads.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2011-12-06 on MARVIN
 Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
 configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/include --ldflags
 -LD:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/lib'