Subject: 24.0.92; ietf-drums-parse-address and non-ASCII names

From: Aaron Ecay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:58:51 -0500

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

The function ietf-drums-parse-address cannot cope with (unquoted)
non-ASCII characters in email addresses.  An example is the following
From: line (from a message on the mailing list for the notmuch email
client, archives accessible here, real email address obfuscated:
http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/
)

 From: =?utf-8?q?Philipp_=C3=9Cberbacher?= <[email-masked]>

(the quoted character is an uppercase U-umlaut: Ü)

In the process of parsing this line, the function emits a minibuffer
message, and then returns the name without the non-ASCII character:
“Philipp berbacher”  This is because of the ietf-drums-atext-token
regex, which includes only ASCII alphabet characters.

-----

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/Users/aecay/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.92.3 (i386-apple-darwin10.8.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2011-12-12 on awe
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--with-ns' '--without-gnutls''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

-- 
Aaron Ecay