Subject: bug#10314: 24.0.92; ietf-drums-parse-address and non-ASCII names

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 00:26:50 +0100

Aaron Ecay <[email-masked]> writes:

> This would arise in the notmuch email reader, which would decode the
> address to UTF-8 before calling this function.  So you can get the
> behavior by doing:
>
> (ietf-drums-parse-address "Philipp Überbacher <[email-masked]>")
> ; -> ("[email-masked]" . "Philipp berbacher")
>
> When this happens, there is also a message displayed in the echo area:
> “Unknown symbol: Ü”.

That's not what that function is meant to do.  It parses a DRUMS
address, which is basically an RFC2047-encoded address.  It's undefined
what it does on addresses that are of a different format.

So this sounds like a bug in Notmuch, and you should take it up with
them.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome