Subject: bug#10313: configure fails to find include path on openbsd

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 20:54:41 +0000

On 02/01/12 18:42, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Though it seems odd to me to have a system where gcc does not look in
> /usr/local, yet that is where packages get installed.

Well, the meaning of "package" is maybe also a bit different: OpenBSD's 
much-vaunted security claims only apply [1] to its monolithic "system" 
(though note that includes a whole bunch of things that would be 
packages on a lot of other OSes, AFAIUI [2][3]) and _not_ the OpenBSD 
ports&packages. The latter are strictly add-ons that have not been 
subjected to the same security auditing, it's not like the debian 
situation, say, where the whole "system" is pretty much /made of/ 
packages (like the base-files .deb with the filesystem hierarchy itself...)

So I guess the idea is to exclude them by default and require an active 
choice to use them, since once you start using the ports&packages system 
at all (never mind installing stuff direct from upstream sources...), 
you're choosing to break that assumption you're only running fully 
openbsd project audited code.

[1] http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#Intro
"""
The packages and ports collection does NOT go through the same thorough 
security audit that is performed on the OpenBSD base system. Although we 
strive to keep the quality of the packages collection high, we just do 
not have enough human resources to ensure the same level of robustness 
and security.
"""

[2] http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.sbin/
[3] http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.bin/