Subject: Re: bug#10309: 24.0.92; [wishlist] Add an option to disable "auto-refining" while moving between hunks in diff mode

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 19:19:37 +0100

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 18:53, Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I thought it too, and it seems to work, but I saw the docstring of
> that variable, and it seem to advise against changing the variable at
> user-level:
>
>  Non-nil if Diff-Auto-Refine mode is enabled.
>  Use the command `diff-auto-refine-mode' to change this variable.
>
> Why?

Usually, every minor mode as as associated variable, but obviously the
work is done by the function (the variable just acts as a flag to know
whether the minor mode is active or not).

In this case, the minor mode is defined with ":init-value t", so it
defaults to active. If you check the macroexpansion of the minor-mode
definition, you'll see it does

  (defvar diff-auto-refine-mode t
    "Non-nil if Diff-Auto-Refine mode is enabled.
  Use the command `diff-auto-refine-mode' to change this variable.")
  (make-variable-buffer-local 'diff-auto-refine-mode)

so if you want it to default to disabled, you have to set it so.

    Juanma