Subject: Re: bug#10285: 23.3; Gud hangs terminal when not running gdb --annotate=3

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 09:21:29 -0500

retitle 10285 gdb-mi should accept some process I/O before GDB actually starts
found 10285 24.1
thanks

>> Could you check the Emacs-24 pretest to see if it addresses the problem?
> Where can I find that?  I don't see it on the main web site.

Since it's a pretest it's not advertised there.
You can find it at http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/

>> Presumably now that you know you need to add the magic argument, you are
>> able to fix the command to make your gdb+sudo case work, right?
> No, because sudo runs before gdb and prompts for your password, which
> it never gets, so gdb never runs and spits out whatever Emacs is
> waiting to see.

Ah, and indeed the code in the pretest won't help.
We need further changes to gdb-mi.el to accommodate your use case, but
those changes would be too intrusive to add at this stage, so it'll have
to wait for after 24.1.

In the mean time, I suggest you use M-x gud-gdb RET which uses the old
(Emacs-22) simpler GUD interaction and just requires a "--fullname"
argument (and whose absence won't be as problematic, tho it'll prevent
Emacs from jumping to the source code for you).

        Stefan