Subject: bug#10284: closed (Re: bug#10284: "Renaming: permission denied" file-error in Windows)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 09:57:02 +0000

Your bug report

#10284: 23.2; "Renaming: permission denied" file-error in Windows

which was filed against the emacs,w32 package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
10284: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10284
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#10284: "Renaming: permission denied" file-error in Windows
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: LynX <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 11:54:28 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 22:46:00 +0200
> From: LynX <[email-masked]>
> 
> > Thanks.  But "UNC" doesn't mean "Unicode", it means "Universal Naming
> > Convention", and refers to the \\server\share\foo style of file names
> > on remote machines.
> 
> Sorry now I got it :)
> 
> Today I tested it and it worked fine. I was able to move non-empty 
> directory to remote shared directory (\\remote_host\shared) and then 
> moved it back successfuly.

Thanks.  I committed the changes for you (as trunk revision 106818),
and I'm closing this bug.

Note that this patch is as much as we can accept from you without
legal papers, so if you want to continue contributing to Emacs, I
encourage you to sign legal papers that assign copyright for your
changes to the FSF.

Thanks again for working on this.

Subject: 23.2; "Renaming: permission denied" file-error in Windows
From: LynX <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 22:35:22 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I found that dired in Windows does not provide you possibility to move a 
directory to a new location if this new location resides on a different 
logical disk.

For instance you have two opened dired buffers: `c:\dir1' and
`f:\dir2'. To move some files from `dir1' to `dir2' you can use "R", but
if you try to move some directory from `dir1' to `dir2' you will get
`Renaming: permission denied' error message.

For more details and temporary workaround please refer to the emacs-devel
mail list:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-12/msg00253.html

Regards,
LX

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
  of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags 
-Ic:/xpm/include'

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: RUS
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: cp1251
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> M-x r e p o <tab> r t - <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...
call-interactively: End of buffer [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug help-mode easymenu view tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp
w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)