Subject: bug#10284: 23.2; "Renaming: permission denied" file-error in Windows

From: LynX <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 22:35:22 +0200

Hello,

I found that dired in Windows does not provide you possibility to move a 
directory to a new location if this new location resides on a different 
logical disk.

For instance you have two opened dired buffers: `c:\dir1' and
`f:\dir2'. To move some files from `dir1' to `dir2' you can use "R", but
if you try to move some directory from `dir1' to `dir2' you will get
`Renaming: permission denied' error message.

For more details and temporary workaround please refer to the emacs-devel
mail list:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-12/msg00253.html

Regards,
LX

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
  of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags 
-Ic:/xpm/include'

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: RUS
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: cp1251
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> M-x r e p o <tab> r t - <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...
call-interactively: End of buffer [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug help-mode easymenu view tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp
w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)