Subject: bug#10283: Guile Manual Error

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 01:26:52 -0500

add <[email-masked]> writes:
> www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html#Linking-Guile-into-Programs
>
> Hm, I've tried the "linking guile into programs" and the gcc command
> there is incorrect, [...]
> The gcc command should be "gcc -o simple-guile simple-guile.c
> $(pkg-config --cflags --libs guile-2.0)"

Thanks for the report, but as far as I can tell the gcc command in the
manual is correct.  Perhaps you made a mistake when typing it in?  The
only differences between the command you give above and the one in the
manual are:

* The command in the manual includes a backslash to split the command
  across two lines.  Note that this backslash must be the last character
  on the line (without even a space after it).  Alternatively, you can
  put the whole command on one line.

* You use the bash-specific $(...) command substitution syntax, whereas
  the manual uses the `...` backquote syntax.  Both syntaxes are exactly
  equivalent on bash, but the backquote syntax is far more portable
  (i.e. works on most shells, not just bash).

Note that backquotes `...` are _not_ the same as single-quotes '...',
a.k.a. apostrophes.  On a US keyboard, backquote is usually on the same
key as the tilde (~).

> and also, I can't access my HOSTNAME envvar from
> the guile instance (from both mac 10.5.8 and GNU/Linux Kubuntu 11.10).

When filing bug reports, it is important to give us enough detail to
reproduce the exact problem you see.  Instead of telling us that you
can't do something, please show us an exact transcript of a minimal
self-contained Guile session that demonstrates the problem.

In this case, please type "export | grep HOSTNAME" at the shell prompt
(to demonstrate that HOSTNAME really is in your environment), followed
by "guile" and then show us what guile commands you typed to try to
access this environment variable.

Also, when reporting two or more unrelated bugs, please send each report
in a separate email.  The reason we ask is that each email to bug-guile
is automatically added to our bug tracking system.  It is better for
each bug to have its own separate entry in the system.

Anyway, thanks for the reports!

    Best,
     Mark