Subject: Re: bug#10261: 24.0.92; The "dist" makefile target & the "--distfiles" configure option

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 12:25:25 +0100

[Sorry, the OP is badly formatted, due to some "feature" of GMail.
Here is the message again, hopefully well formatted].

After bootstrapping Emacs on my system (MS-Windows 7 64-bit; mingw32),
if I try the "dist" target (mingw32-make dist), I get this error:
--------------------------------------
[...]
cp -rf "C:/emacs/trunk/nt/../leim" emacs-24.0.92
cp -rf "C:/emacs/trunk/nt/../site-lisp" emacs-24.0.92
cp -rf  emacs-24.0.92/bin
cp: missing destination file operand after `emacs-24.0.92/bin'
Try `cp --help' for more information.
mingw32-make: *** [dist] Error 1
--------------------------------------

Looking at the file "nt/makefile", the failing sentence seems to be this one:
 $(CP_DIR) $(DIST_FILES) $(TMP_DIST_DIR)/bin

The problem is that `$(DIST_FILES)' expands to nothing, because I
specified no "--distfiles" argument to configure.bat.  In fact, if I
comment out that line, everything seem to go fine.

Therefore, I request to allow making a binary distribution even in
this case, i.e., that the above-mentioned like of nt/makefile was not
written by the configure script when there is no --distfiles
arguments.

TIA.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2011-12-09 on DANI-PC
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags
-fno-omit-frame-pointer'

-- 
Dani Moncayo