Subject: Re: bug#10261: 24.0.92; The "dist" makefile target & the "--distfiles" configure option

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 23:08:07 +0200

> Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 21:51:20 +0100
> From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> But I still wonder the reason of the former failure: If a "sh.exe"
> shell is supported too, what was wrong with my initial setup?

I don't know.  Please try to find out, because it should work.  My
first guess would be that this command:

  maybe-copy-distfiles-SH: doit
	  @if [ ! $(ARGQUOTE)$(DIST_FILES)$(ARGQUOTE)=="" ] ; then \
	    $(CP_DIR) $(DIST_FILES) $(TMP_DIST_DIR)/bin
	  fi

should instead say

   @if [ ! $(ARGQUOTE)$(DIST_FILES)$(ARGQUOTE) = "" ] ; then \

i.e., one '=', not 2.

> And BTW, I'm wondering too: what's the point of the "barebin" file?

For people who want to be able to dump their own Emacs after
preloading a different collection of Lisp files, I think.  I never
used it, FWIW.

> Should not be separate targets for making the "bin" and "barebin"
> files?

I actually think we need to deprecate it and eventual stop building
and distributing it.  I doubt anyone ever used it.