Subject: bug#10257: 23.3.1 Cygwin: network drives - file is write protected (false positive)

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 11:52:43 -0500

On 12/13/2011 11:26 AM, jari wrote:
> Response from Cygwin list:
>
>      >      $ ls -la /cygdrive/z/tmp/test-epackage.el
>      >      -rwxr--r-- 1 ???????? ???????? 437 Dec  9 20:02 /cygdrive/z/tmp/test-epackage.el
>
>      It's not a bug.
>
>      If you use winbind and the user accounts are correctly mapped to
>      Windows accounts, then you would see the Cygwin UIDs/GIDs
>      correspoding to the SID of the AD user account.
>
>      If you don't do that, there's only an invisible mapping from the
>      Windows SID to the Unix uid/gid.  The actual UNIX account has not
>      the same mapping back to the Windows SID.  Instead, the SID
>      returned from Samba to Windows is a fake SID S-1-22-1-UnixUID or
>      S-1-22-2-UnixGID.  (..)
>
> The rest goes into details for setting 1:1 UID, GID mapping.

You omitted the part of the response that says, "The easiest way to 
workaround this issue is to mount the share with the noacl mount 
option".  I also suggested this in my first response to your report. 
Does this fail to work for some reason?

Ken