Subject: Re: bug#10257: 23.3.1 Cygwin: network drives - file is write protected (false positive)

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 09:42:33 -0500

On 12/14/2011 11:04 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> How does the following patch look?
>
> Looks fine to me, if it does the job.

Thanks.

It works for me, but I'd like Jari to confirm.  I was able to test it 
because there are some files on my system that are owned by the 
TrustedInstaller virtual user.  Cygwin currently doesn't create 
/etc/passwd and /etc/group entries for TrustedInstaller, so its files 
show up with UID and GID equal to -1.

By the way, the check_executable function calls euidaccess in the same 
way as check_writable, but I don't think I want to change that one to be 
more permissive unless there's a good reason to do so.  It seems to be 
used mainly to check for standard programs, which I hope aren't going to 
be found on a network share configured in such a way that the UID/GID 
can't be determined.

Thanks, as always, for being so helpful.

Ken