Subject: Re: bug#10238: R in gnus-summary does not pop a frame like F does

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:34:42 -0600

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:25:48 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote: 

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:00:46 -0600
>> Cc: [email-masked], Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
>> 
SM> IOW, just make sure that if you only read the first 80 chars of
SM> the first line, you get something meaningful that describes the bulk of
SM> the patch.
>> 
>> I'm OK with the above, as long as the Gnus developers are allowed to go
>> over 80 in the first line within reason.  So we'll keep the first line
>> short, but if it has to go a little over 80, we'll make sure the really
>> important stuff is at the very beginning.

EZ> I have yet to see a doc string whose first line could not be made less
EZ> than 80 characters.  When in trouble, ask for help here, there are
EZ> enough native English speakers here who are proficient in making that
EZ> line clear, concise, and short.

We're talking about VCS commit messages, not docstrings.  It's a
different context, and for VCS commits often there is information that
needs to be distilled into that first line and 80 chars are not enough.

Ted