Subject: bug#10238: R in gnus-summary does not pop a frame like F does

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 20:26:38 -0500

>> I have a special-display-* setting like "\\*.*\\*" that makes all
>> buffers named with *...* to pop up in dedicated frames.
>> When I follow-up with F in gnus-summary, this is obeyed just fine and
>> pops up a new frame where I can comfortably edit my message.
>> But if I use R instead, the message-mode buffer is placed in the main
>> Gnus frame rather than in its own frame.  I.e. it disregards
>> special-display-*.
> I've never used any of the `special-display-*' stuff.  What's the
> setting exactly for reproducing this bug?

I'm not completely sure ("emacs -Q" doesn't work too well with Gnus ;-),
but something like (setq special-display-regexps '("^\\*.*\\*$")) might
be sufficient.

>> PS: BTW, please keep commit logs comments within the usual 80 (or even
>> 72) columns!
> I have previously been instructed to make the first line of a commit
> message be a complete sentence.  Making it complete, less than 72
> characters and meaningful is a challenge.

The first line doesn't need to be complete, as far as I'm concerned.
And I'm more worried about it staying within the 80 columns limit than
about it being a complete sentence.
IOW, just make sure that if you only read the first 80 chars of
the first line, you get something meaningful that describes the bulk of
the patch.

        Stefan