Subject: Re: bug#10237: AM_SILENT_RULES does not work with NonStop make

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 14:01:04 -0700

On 12/07/2011 01:54 PM, Roumen Petrov wrote:
>> Exactly.  Hence the proposal for a configure-time check, which expands
>> to the extension where the extension was tested to work, and which
>> expands to an innocuous variant that avoids nested variables where the
>> test fails.
>>    
> 
> I remember one old discussion from automake list that end with following
> solution
> lib_LTLIBRARIES = @MODULE@.la
> @MODULE@_la_SOURCES = module.c
> @MODULE@_la_LDFLAGS = -module -avoid-version

How is that relavant to this bug?  The whole point of Paul's proposal is
that @AM_V@ and @AM_DEFAULT_VERBOSITY@ are automake internals, and
appear only in Makefile.in, not Makefile.am.

> 
> Following current discussion I think that next will be automake to be
> able to process following Makefile.am
> 
> MODULE = @MODULE@
> lib_LTLIBRARIES = $(MODULE).la
> $(MODULE)_la_SOURCES = module.c
> $(MODULE)_la_LDFLAGS = -module -avoid-version

You're asking for something different, which is a smarter automake that
can handle Makefile.am in such a way that it can see through a
user-provided @MODULE@, even when it is later spelled $(MODULE).  But
that is unrelated to fixing AM_SILENT_RULES to produce POSIX-compliant
makefiles.

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org