Subject: Re: bug#10237: AM_SILENT_RULES does not work with NonStop make

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 20:02:32 +0100

reopen 10237
tags 10237 - wontfix
thanks

On Tuesday 06 December 2011, Eric Blake wrote:
>
> >> I'm extremely reluctant to add yet more complexity to automake
> > 
> > I don't see this change as adding much complexity.  It should be
> > pretty simple, and it shouldn't affect Automake much.  So I guess
> > the question is: how much complexity is "too much"?  I don't want
> > to bother to write and test a patch if it's going to be shot down
> > no matter how simple it is.
> 
> Personally, I'm in favor of the idea.  It seems very simple at being
> able to address the non-POSIX concern that Ralf first expressed when
> silent make was introduced
>
OK, I think your combined opinions are enough to outweight my mine.

If you are interested in accomodating this fringe situation, I will
then accept a patch on the lines Paul has proposed (with a mandatory
testcase, otherwise it would be far too easy to regress in such a
almost-never-excercised corner case).  But note that most likely I'm
not going to write such a patch myself for the moment.

Regards,
  Stefano