Subject: Coreutils incompatibility with POSIX make

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 09:05:47 -0800

[This is a followon to Bug#10220, but it's a separate issue,
so I'm opening up a new bug report.]

On 12/06/11 01:11, Basavaraj B wrote:

> )rm -f alloca.h-t alloca.h &&  { echo '/* DO NOT EDIT! GENERATED
> AUTOMATICALLY! */';  cat ./alloca.in.h;  } > alloca.h-h
> /bin/sh: syntax error at line 1 : `)' unexpected
> *** Error code 2

Ouch.  Coreutils is built with Automake's silent-rules feature,
and as I just now discovered, that feature is documented to not
be portable to POSIX make.  NonStop make conforms to POSIX in
this area but disagrees with GNU make.  The simplest fix is to
disable the silent-rules feature; it doesn't suffice to run
'configure --disable-silent-rules'.

The following patch should fix things for you; could you please
give it a try?  You'll need to run 'automake' etc. afterwards --
if you lack the autotools on NonStop you can run them on a Linux
box, copy the results to NonStop, and then run 'configure' on NonStop.

=====

build: disable silent-rules
* configure.ac (AM_SILENT_RULES): Remove.  This option generates
makefiles that are incompatible with POSIX make, and which do not
work on NonStop.  Problem reported by Basavaraj B.
diff --git a/configure.ac b/configure.ac
index 9ca2ce4..f65fb81 100644
--- a/configure.ac
+++ b/configure.ac
@@ -33,7 +33,6 @@ AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([build-aux])
 AC_CONFIG_HEADERS([lib/config.h:lib/config.hin])

 AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([1.11.1 no-dist-gzip dist-xz color-tests parallel-tests])
-AM_SILENT_RULES([yes]) # make --enable-silent-rules the default.

 AC_PROG_CC_STDC
 AM_PROG_CC_C_O