Subject: Re: bug#10231: libtool.m4 makes the wrong shell (dash) run libtool

From: Peter O'Gorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 21:05:16 -0600

On 12/06/2011 05:59 AM, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
> This is an old bug by now, but the reports I've seen do not seem to
> get at all of it.
>
> libtool.m4:LT_INIT says LIBTOOL='$(SHELL) $(top_builddir)/libtool'.
> Gnu Make exports SHELL=/bin/sh.  Maybe other Makes too, I do not know.
>
> Any advise as to what to do (other than staying with libtool 1.5)?
> For now I use the simplest fix, removing $(SHELL).  Or should
> Makefile.in be using something else than @LIBTOOL@?

Hi,

Thanks for the report.

Removing $(SHELL) from LIBTOOL makes sense to me, I don't know if it 
will cause problems on windows though?

If it's a problem, we can AC_SUBST(LT_SHELL) and use that (which will 
cause problems for people not using automake, like yourself).

Peter