Subject: Re: bug#10227: Python installation fails for Python 3

From: Roumen Petrov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 01:16:37 +0200

Reuben Thomas wrote:
> The code currently used to get the python package directory is wrong
> for Python 3:
>    
>>>> from distutils import sysconfig; print (sysconfig.get_python_lib(0,0,'/usr/local'))/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages
>>>>          
> is wrong (should be /usr/local/lib/python3.2/dist-packages). Now, in
> some sense this must be right (since the path is returned by
> sysconfig), but the path produced
> (/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages) is not searched by my Ubuntu
> system's installed Python. If instead of automake I install the same
> files with distutils (using a suitable setup.py), then the files are
> installed in the right place (/usr/local/lib/python3.2/dist-packages).
>    
It seems to me this is vendor bug as the right place is site-packages, 
see PEP 370.

A cannot reproduce cut of version with "python" build from original 
sources, i.e. without extra patches :
2.6. 2.7 3.2 return .../pythonX.Y/site-packages

[SNIP]

Roumen