Subject: bug#10227: Python installation fails for Python 3

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 14:41:34 +0100

tags 10227 + moreinfo
thanks

Hi Roumen, Reuben.

On 12/06/2011 12:16 AM, Roumen Petrov wrote:
> Reuben Thomas wrote:
>> The code currently used to get the python package directory is wrong
>> for Python 3:
>>   
>>>>> from distutils import sysconfig; print (sysconfig.get_python_lib(0,0,'/usr/local'))/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages
>>>>>          
>> is wrong (should be /usr/local/lib/python3.2/dist-packages). Now, in
>> some sense this must be right (since the path is returned by
>> sysconfig), but the path produced
>> (/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages) is not searched by my Ubuntu
>> system's installed Python. If instead of automake I install the same
>> files with distutils (using a suitable setup.py), then the files are
>> installed in the right place (/usr/local/lib/python3.2/dist-packages).
>>    
> It seems to me this is vendor bug as the right place is site-packages, see PEP 370.
> 
> A cannot reproduce cut of version with "python" build from original sources,
> i.e. without extra patches :
> 2.6. 2.7 3.2 return .../pythonX.Y/site-packages
> 
> 
> [SNIP]
> 
> Roumen
> 
I'm going through old open bugs, and I've noticed this one.  Is the
problem still present, after the recent updates to the python support?
(They should be already merged in the maint branch by now)  If yes,
could you please provide me with a minimal, clear reproducer, or at
least restart this discussion from the basics?

Thanks,
  Stefano