Subject: bug#10226: closed (Re: bug#10226: Drop redundant Python 1.5 support?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 14:26:04 +0000

Your bug report

#10226: Drop redundant Python 1.5 support?

which was filed against the automake package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
10226: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10226
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#10226: Drop redundant Python 1.5 support?
From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
To: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 15:23:10 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 12/08/2011 11:32 PM, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
> tags 10226 + patch
> thanks
> 
> On Thursday 08 December 2011, Reuben Thomas wrote:
>> On 7 December 2011 23:31, Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> severity 10226 minor
>>>>
>>> I'd be interested in such a patch; unfortunately, the one you've sent
>>> is completely garbled.  Would you mind to re-send it as an attachement?
>>
>> Attached. I apologise in advance that it will have an unhelpful MIME
>> type (hence my originally sending it inline).
>>
> Thanks.  I've added a ChangeLog entry, bumped the serial in python.m4, and
> queued the patch for installation after the 1.11.2 release.
> 
I've added the NEWS entry below, rebased the patch on latest maint, and pushed
it.  I'm thus closing this bug report.

Thanks,
  Stefano

-*-*-

diff --git a/NEWS b/NEWS
index 46803a7..785d6b0 100644
--- a/NEWS
+++ b/NEWS
@@ -24,6 +24,9 @@ New in 1.11.0a:

 * Miscellaneous changes:

+  - The last relics of Python 1.5 support have been removed from the
+    AM_PATH_PYTHON macro.
+
   - The `lzma' compression scheme and associated automake option `dist-lzma'
     is obsoleted by `xz' and `dist-xz' due to upstream changes.

Subject: Drop redundant Python 1.5 support?
From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
To: bug-automake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 23:42:41 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Reading python.m4, I notice that it claims to support only Python >=
2.0, yet still has specific support for Python 1.5. Would a patch
along the following lines therefore be accepted? (If so I'll write the
changelog entry &c.!)

>From 159eee8f676f41aa4619d074e2bb8a01d102e4a8 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00
2001From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 23:40:48
+0100Subject: [PATCH] Remove Python 1.5 support.
--- m4/python.m4 |   14 ++++---------- 1 files changed, 4
insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)
diff --git a/m4/python.m4 b/m4/python.m4index a7c1dd7..642b498
100644--- a/m4/python.m4+++ b/m4/python.m4@@ -115,9 +115,7 @@
AC_DEFUN([AM_PATH_PYTHON],   dnl   site-packages directory, not the
python standard library   dnl   directory like in previous automake
betas.  This behavior   dnl   is more consistent with lispdir.m4 for
example.-  dnl Query distutils for this directory.  distutils does not
exist in-  dnl Python 1.5, so we fall back to the hardcoded directory
if it-  dnl doesn't work.+  dnl Query distutils for this directory.
AC_CACHE_CHECK([for $am_display_PYTHON script directory],
[am_cv_python_pythondir],     [if test "x$prefix" = xNONE@@ -126,8
+124,7 @@ AC_DEFUN([AM_PATH_PYTHON],      else
am_py_prefix=$prefix      fi-     am_cv_python_pythondir=`$PYTHON -c
"import sys; from distutils import sysconfig;
sys.stdout.write(sysconfig.get_python_lib(0,0,prefix='$am_py_prefix'))"
2>/dev/null ||-     echo
"$PYTHON_PREFIX/lib/python$PYTHON_VERSION/site-packages"`+
am_cv_python_pythondir=`$PYTHON -c "import sys; from distutils import
sysconfig; sys.stdout.write(sysconfig.get_python_lib(0,0,prefix='$am_py_prefix'))"
2>/dev/null`      case $am_cv_python_pythondir in      $am_py_prefix*)
       am__strip_prefix=`echo "$am_py_prefix" | sed 's|.|.|g'`@@
-153,9 +150,7 @@ AC_DEFUN([AM_PATH_PYTHON],    dnl pyexecdir --
directory for installing python extension modules   dnl   (shared
libraries)-  dnl Query distutils for this directory.  distutils does
not exist in-  dnl Python 1.5, so we fall back to the hardcoded
directory if it-  dnl doesn't work.+  dnl Query distutils for this
directory.   AC_CACHE_CHECK([for $am_display_PYTHON extension module
directory],     [am_cv_python_pyexecdir],     [if test "x$exec_prefix"
= xNONE@@ -164,8 +159,7 @@ AC_DEFUN([AM_PATH_PYTHON],      else
am_py_exec_prefix=$exec_prefix      fi-
am_cv_python_pyexecdir=`$PYTHON -c "import sys; from distutils import
sysconfig; sys.stdout.write(sysconfig.get_python_lib(1,0,prefix='$am_py_exec_prefix'))"
2>/dev/null ||-     echo
"$PYTHON_EXEC_PREFIX/lib/python$PYTHON_VERSION/site-packages"`+
am_cv_python_pyexecdir=`$PYTHON -c "import sys; from distutils import
sysconfig; sys.stdout.write(sysconfig.get_python_lib(1,0,prefix='$am_py_exec_prefix'))"
2>/dev/null`      case $am_cv_python_pyexecdir in
$am_py_exec_prefix*)        am__strip_prefix=`echo
"$am_py_exec_prefix" | sed 's|.|.|g'`-- 1.7.5.4
-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org