Subject: Re: bug#10224: 24.0.92; M-w inhibits echoing of prefix arguments

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 18:52:48 +0100

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 13:52:29 +0800 Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> It's definitely not a normal delay.  But your failure to reproduce it
>> (it's 100% reproducible for me) made me suspicious, so I switched to
>> another desktop environment, and sure enough, the echoing behavior after
>> M-w was normal.  So this appears to be a problem just with LXDE, which I
>> used for the first time a few days ago.  I have no idea what is causing
>> it: M-w has no desktop function in LXDE AFAICT and aside from the
>> no-echo problem works as usual in Emacs; moreover, I just determined
>> that the no-echo problem does not happen with emacs -q -nw started from
>> the LXTerminal.
>
> I have no idea what LXDE could be doing that could cause this.  If you
> add the (redisplay t) line discussed earlier in this thread, does the
> problem go away on LXDE?

Do you mean this (from Bug#10195)?

=== modified file 'lisp/simple.el'
*** lisp/simple.el	2011-11-19 19:49:56 +0000
--- lisp/simple.el	2011-12-04 02:25:33 +0000
***************
*** 3251,3256 ****
--- 3251,3257 ----
  	      ;; Swap point and mark.
  	      (set-marker (mark-marker) (point) (current-buffer))
  	      (goto-char other-end)
+ 	      (redisplay t)
  	      (sit-for blink-matching-delay)
  	      ;; Swap back.
  	      (set-marker (mark-marker) other-end (current-buffer))

If so, then no, adding the redisplay line does not prevent inhibiting
echoing of prefix arguments after setting the mark and then typing M-w.
(I tested by starting Emacs with -Q, copying the source code of
kill-ring-save into *scratch*, adding the redisplay line, evalling, then
setting the mark and typing M-w.)

Steve Berman