Subject: bug#10224: 24.0.92; M-w inhibits echoing of prefix arguments

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 10:00:25 +0100

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 16:17:53 +0800 Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Sorry for the confusion.  Step 2 was only meant to demonstrate the usual
>> echoing of prefix arguments; it's not a necessary step to get the bug.
>> Step 3 is really the entire recipe: after setting the mark (in any way)
>> and then typing M-w, all subsequent interactively typed prefix arguments
>> are no longer echoed.  (Under conditions I haven't yet been able to
>> determine, the echoing sometimes returns after a while, but immediately
>> vanishes again upon typing M-w (if the mark is set).)
>
> I can't reproduce any unexpected behavior.  Are you sure you're not just
> seeing the usual effect of echo-keystrokes (which specifies a 1 second
> pause before echoing)?

It's definitely not a normal delay.  But your failure to reproduce it
(it's 100% reproducible for me) made me suspicious, so I switched to
another desktop environment, and sure enough, the echoing behavior after
M-w was normal.  So this appears to be a problem just with LXDE, which I
used for the first time a few days ago.  I have no idea what is causing
it: M-w has no desktop function in LXDE AFAICT and aside from the
no-echo problem works as usual in Emacs; moreover, I just determined
that the no-echo problem does not happen with emacs -q -nw started from
the LXTerminal.  Anyway, I guess this is not an Emacs bug (and I guess
I'll have to switch desktop environments again...).  Sorry for the
noise.

Steve Berman