Subject: Re: bug#10224: 24.0.92; M-w inhibits echoing of prefix arguments

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 08:30:54 +0100

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 09:53:52 +0800 Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> 1. emacs -Q
>> 2. Type `C-u' => in the echo area you see "C-u-"
>> 3. Set the mark (e.g. by typing `C-SPC') and then type `M-w'.
>
> I don't understand what you are trying to say.
>
> After typing C-u, if I immediately type C-SPC, Emacs says "No mark set
> in this buffer".  That is to be expected, since C-u C-SPC is supposed to
> move point to the mark.
>
> Could you repeat with the *exact* recipe?

Sorry for the confusion.  Step 2 was only meant to demonstrate the usual
echoing of prefix arguments; it's not a necessary step to get the bug.
Step 3 is really the entire recipe: after setting the mark (in any way)
and then typing M-w, all subsequent interactively typed prefix arguments
are no longer echoed.  (Under conditions I haven't yet been able to
determine, the echoing sometimes returns after a while, but immediately
vanishes again upon typing M-w (if the mark is set).)

Steve Berman