Subject: Re: bug#10186: 23.3; save-some-buffers not making review windows large enough

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 10:26:24 +0100

>> As Juri said we should be able to customize this.  But I don't like the
 >> idea of a global variable and I don't think that using the ALIST
 >> argument for this purpose is feasible either.  It's something I planned
 >> to solve with the help of specifiers once ...
 >
 > I'm just curious do you plan to use display specifiers or window parameters?

Display specifiers make sense only if you can merge them and people
didn't like the idea of merging.  The problem is that for certain
buffers creating or reusing a small window might make sense while for
other buffers it doesn't.

Dave, for example, apparently does use small windows since otherwise
`display-buffer' couldn't reuse them.  But he doesn't want
`save-some-buffers' reuse his small windows.  So a global variable is
hardly useful here and we probably have to use the ALIST argument of
`display-buffer'.

Window parameters OTOH are currently not customizable.  We could give a
window a `display-buffer-no-reuse' (which would be equivalent to setting
the dedicatedness of that window to something non-nil-t) or
`display-buffer-no-split' parameter.  Again we needed some means to
specify this via the ALIST argument.

martin