Subject: bug#10185: closed (Re: bug#10185: 24.0.50; rgrep breaks when called programmatically)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:37:02 +0000

Your bug report

#10185: 24.0.50; rgrep breaks when called programmatically

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
10185: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10185
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#10185: 24.0.50; rgrep breaks when called programmatically
From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
To: Phil Hagelberg <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 00:33:40 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.0.92

>> Evaluating (rgrep "hello") results in "/bin/bash: hello: command not found"
>>
>> The docstring for rgrep claims that its first argument is intended to be
>> a regexp, but clearly it's attempting to execute it via bash.
>
> `rgrep' assumes that when the `FILES' argument is empty then a grep command
> is specified in the `REGEXP' argument.  This should be documented.

Docstring fixed.  Thanks for the report.

Subject: 24.0.50; rgrep breaks when called programmatically
From: Phil Hagelberg <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 11:08:07 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Evaluating (rgrep "hello") results in "/bin/bash: hello: command not found"

The docstring for rgrep claims that its first argument is intended to be
a regexp, but clearly it's attempting to execute it via bash.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
 of 2011-09-26 on enigma
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11001000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Grep

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
o C-p C-a M-f C-f C-f <backspace> C-f M-s M-f M-f C-f
C-d C-d SPC C-n <tab> C-x C-s C-M-x C-x o M-p <return>
C-x o C-x o C-p C-n C-x o C-p C-a M-f M-f M-f M-f M-b
C-b C-k C-a M-f C-f C-y C-k C-p C-a M-f M-f C-f C-y
M-b C-b C-b C-b SPC C-f C-f C-f SPC M-f SPC C-n C-p
C-f <return> C-n C-c q C-x C-s C-M-x C-x o M-p <return>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> q C-p C-a M-f M-b e s h e
l l / C-n <tab> C-e C-x C-e C-x o t o d o <return>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1> q <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> C-h f <return> M-f M-f C-f C-k C-n C-c q
C-a M-f M-f SPC C-y C-b <backspace> M-b <backspace>
C-b C-b C-b <backspace> C-M-x C-x o C-x m M-p <return>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> q C-x o M-f M-f M-b C-b C-k
<return> ( e x p a n d - f i l e - n a m e SPC C-y
C-e C-x C-e C-x o t o d o <return> C-x o C-x k <return>
C-x C-s C-x k C-g M-b M-b M-b M-f <return> C-p C-e
C-a M-f M-f M-f <return> C-n <tab> C-x C-s C-M-x C-g
C-x o M-x r e g r <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
g r e p <return> T O D O <return> <return> <return>
M-x s t a r t C-a C-g M-x s e r v e r - s t a <return>
M-x C-g e c h o SPC $ E D I T O R <return> M-x r e
p r o t - <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
o r t - e m <return> r <backspace> C-g C-h C-g C-h
f g r e p <return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> q M-x
<return>

Recent messages:
Saving file /home/phil/.emacs.d/phil/programming.el...
Wrote /home/phil/.emacs.d/phil/programming.el
Quit
Saving file /home/phil/.emacs.d/phil/programming.el...
Wrote /home/phil/.emacs.d/phil/programming.el
eshell/todo
Quit
Grep finished (matches found)
Quit [3 times]
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer.

Load-path shadows:
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/htmlfontify-0.21/htmlfontify hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/htmlfontify
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-gnuplot hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-indent hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-xoxo hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-xoxo
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-matlab hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-emacs-lisp hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-sass hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-beamer hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-beamer
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-rmail hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-tangle hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-exp-blocks hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-exp-blocks
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-freemind hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-freemind
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-taskjuggler hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-taskjuggler
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-irc hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-java hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-mac-message hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-mac-message
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-python hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-asymptote hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-entities hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-haskell hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-clojure hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-jsinfo hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-jsinfo
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-latex hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-latex
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-keys hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-html hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-html
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-ocaml hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-list hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-list
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-ref hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-wl hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-wl
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-w3m hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-bbdb hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-id hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-id
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-bibtex hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-remember hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-remember
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-plot hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-capture hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-clock hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-awk hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-special-blocks hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-special-blocks
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-lob hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-protocol hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-octave hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-icalendar hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-icalendar
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-js hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-perl hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-calc hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-info hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-info
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-table hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-table
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-exp hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-exp
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-plantuml hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-table hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-docview hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-crypt hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-colview hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-latex hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-exp hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-ctags hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-inlinetask hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-macs hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-faces hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-sql hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-dot hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-sh hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-sh
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-mobile hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-publish hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-publish
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-feed hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-src hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-src
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-comint hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-screen hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-ascii hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-ascii
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-mew hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-mew
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-mhe hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-timer hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-ditaa hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-datetree hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-pcomplete hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-mks hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-mks
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-sqlite hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-scheme hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-ledger hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-lilypond hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-attach hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-compat hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-vm hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-vm
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-org hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-R hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-gnus hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-C hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-mscgen hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-agenda hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-css hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-mouse hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-docbook hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-docbook
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-lisp hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-ruby hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-archive hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/ob-eval hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-habit hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20111103/org-footnote hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/org/org-footnote

Features:
(shadow mail-extr message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader emacsbug server find-dired sgml-mode
scpaste htmlfontify cus-edit cus-start cus-load url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-util
url-parse url-vars mailcap face-remap tabify man sort conf-mode vc
ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult
ediff-init ediff vc-dispatcher grep imenu help-mode hippie-exp rect
markdown-mode view newcomment multi-isearch compile hi-lock cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs dired magit diff-mode log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-key-mode
recentf tree-widget wid-edit arc-mode archive-mode etags network-stream
auth-source eieio assoc gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
starttls tls slamhound-464f8bf0 slamhound slime-repl-79b38c83
slime-c3230b2c slime-repl slime apropos hideshow pp clojure-mode
pcmpl-unix org-table vc-git flyspell ispell org-wl org-w3m org-vm
org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html
format-spec org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks org-agenda org-info org-gnus
org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org byte-opt warnings bytecomp
byte-compile cconv macroexp ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint comint ob-keys ob ob-eval
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-compat org-entities org-macs
noutline outline easy-mmode regexp-opt cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
ffap zenburn-theme paredit hl-line saveplace idle-highlight-mode
thingatpt ansi-color em-unix em-script em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob
em-dirs em-basic em-cmpl em-term term disp-table ehelp electric
em-prompt esh-opt em-banner em-alias clojure-test-mode-autoloads
clojurescript-mode-autoloads color-theme-blackboard-autoloads
color-theme-twilight-autoloads color-theme-zenburn-autoloads
color-theme-autoloads durendal-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads
elisp-slime-nav-autoloads erc-hl-nicks-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads
highlight-parentheses-autoloads htmlize-autoloads
idle-highlight-autoloads ido-yes-or-no-autoloads finder-inf
markdown-mode-autoloads marmalade-autoloads furl-autoloads
oddmuse-autoloads org-autoloads info easymenu pp-c-l-autoloads
scpaste-autoloads htmlfontify-autoloads slime-repl-autoloads
slime-autoloads starter-kit-bindings-autoloads windmove
starter-kit-eshell-autoloads starter-kit-js-autoloads
starter-kit-lisp-autoloads starter-kit-autoloads ring esh-var esh-io
esh-cmd esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg eldoc esh-groups eshell esh-module
esh-mode smex starter-kit-misc ido-ubiquitous ido paren
starter-kit-defuns uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload
magit-autoloads ido-ubiquitous-autoloads smex-autoloads
find-file-in-project-autoloads idle-highlight-mode-autoloads
paredit-autoloads tuareg-autoloads windresize-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads package tabulated-list pcmpl-lein esh-util pcomplete
edmacro kmacro cl time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)