Subject: Re: bug#10178: 24.0.92; emacs -q frame too short for fancy splash image

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 19:35:40 +0200

Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Starting with -q does not show the fancy splash image; `M-:
>> (window-height)' returns 34.  If I start with -q -geometry 80x36 `M-:
>> (window-height)' returns 35 and the fancy splash image appears (though
>> with this height the last line of the splash screen is partially
>> truncated).  I think I started seeing this behavior during the last
>> pretest (24.0.91), but it might have been earlier.

[...]

>         (let* ((img (create-image (or fancy-splash-image
>                                       (if (and (display-color-p)
>                                                (image-type-available-p 'xpm))
>                                           "splash.xpm" "splash.pbm"))))
>                (image-height (and img (cdr (image-size img nil frame))))
>                ;; We test frame-height so that, if the frame is split
>                ;; by displaying a warning, that doesn't cause the normal
>                ;; splash screen to be used.
>                (frame-height (1- (frame-height frame))))
>           (> frame-height (+ image-height 19)))))))

I think this basically works as designed -- we don't want to show the
fancy image if it fits too snugly in the window, because that doesn't
look very nice.  So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no