Subject: Re: bug#10178: 24.0.92; emacs -q frame too short for fancy splash image

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 22:54:12 +0100

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 18:47:37 +0200 Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> On my system, image-height becomes 14.466666666666667, so frame-height
>>> must be larger than 33.4666....
>>> 34 should fit.  Is image-size something else on your system?
>>
>> Yes, 15.5 (image-size returns (38.57142857142857 . 15.5)), which means
>> the decremented frame-height should be > 34.5, so 34 is too small.  This
>> is with the font
>> -unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1,
>> which I've been using since well before the fancy splash image started
>> failing to be displayed.
>
> I see no changes in image size calculations between versions 23 and 24.
>
> With -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--10-100-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1
> in Emacs 23.1:
>
>   (image-size (create-image "splash.xpm"))
>   => (45.0 . 21.7)
>
> In Emacs 24.0.92:
>
>   (image-size (create-image "splash.xpm"))
>   => (45.0 . 21.7)

I just installed my GNU/Linux distribution's (openSUSE 12.1) Emacs 23.3,
and it shows the same behavior as my build from the trunk: no fancy splash
image with -q, frame-height = 35, image-size returns (38.57142857142857
. 15.5).  With Emacs 23.2 from openSUSE 11.4, emacs -q does display the
splash image.  Could this have to do with the GTK+ version (2.24.7 in
openSUSE 12.1)?

Steve Berman