Subject: bug#10177: [Improvement] Hello! Can split console and frontend ?

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:42:57 -0500

James Chyn wrote:

> However, if I install emacs on KDE, gtk+ is a must, which is not
> convinient.

Emacs does not require Gtk+.
The default Emacs package provided by your distribution might, but that
is a different matter.

For example, on Debian:

emacs23       = Emacs using Gtk+
emacs23-lucid = Emacs using Lucid toolkit
emacs23-nox   = Emacs without X support

You can install whichever of those you prefer.

I think what you are calling a "frontend" would be called a "toolkit" in
Emacs-speak.

If you build Emacs from source yourself, you can choose which toolkit
you want to use, including none at all (I guess this is your "console"
version). 

There is no QT version, but there are non-Gtk versions.