Subject: Re: bug#10166: 23.3; [Info-search] "Search Failed"

From: Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 11:41:36 -0500

on Thu Dec 01 2011, Juri Linkov <juri-AT-jurta.org> wrote:

> tags 10166 notabug
> close 10166
> thanks
>
>>>>>> Almost any search in the attached fileset will fail in this way if you
>>>>>> repeat it enough times.  Is the texi ill-formed?
>>>>>
>>>>> Yes, it's ill-formed.
>>>>>
>>>>> `Info-search' expects that "^_\nIndirect:" is preceded by a newline in std.info,
>>>>> so it fails trying to call (search-forward "\n\^_\nIndirect:").
>>>>
>>>> Amazing.  It's the direct output of makeinfo, so I can't understand why
>>>> the newline would be missing and expected.
>>>
>>> makeinfo prepends some boilerplate to its output in every Info file
>>> that at least begins with a line like:
>>>
>>>   This is std.info, produced by makeinfo version 4.13 from std.texi.
>>>
>>> so there is always a newline before ^_Indirect:
>>
>> Well, I am getting some errors from makeinfo, so maybe that's why I
>> don't see that line at the top of the output.  The output appears to be
>> otherwise usable (if imperfect).
>
> The file std.info-13 is broken completely and other files lack the
> standard header.  Looks like you have translated them with the --force
> option that preserves erroneous makeinfo output.  Since there is
> no evidence of a bug in Emacs, I'm closing this report as notabug.

Thanks for taking the time to look at it, and helping us find a
workaround at least.

> You are welcome to post source texi files if you want help in fixing
> makeinfo errors.

This is part of an automated conversion from LaTeX to Texinfo, and
makeinfo is still giving me lots of errors, so I guess I shouldn't be
too surprised to find erroneous output.  Maybe if we're still having
trouble as we get those makeinfo errors cleared away, we'll do something
like that.

Thanks again,

-- 
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com