Subject: Re: 24.0.91; Typo, (elisp) `Text from Minibuffer'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 19:34:07 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 09:17:58 -0800
> 
> Did you actually try it using the cited Emacs version/build?  It is the latest
> Windows binary made available on emacs-devel.  It is simple to download it and
> test with `emacs -Q'.

I used my own compiled binary of the same version.

Please look at the file info/elisp-3 you have, and tell me:

  . Do you see the extra newline in that file?

  . If you do, what do the first 2 lines of that file say?

The file I have doesn't have the extra newline, and its beginning says
this:

  This is /home/cyd/trunk/doc/lispref/../../info/elisp, produced by
  makeinfo version 4.13 from /home/cyd/trunk/doc/lispref/elisp.texi.

IOW, this file was produced by Chong when he created the pretest
tarball.  Maybe yours was produced by a different version of makeinfo
which has some bug.  That would explain why we see such a different
picture.

> If you test only with the pretest or the latest trunk then you are probably not
> testing with the same Emacs sources, let alone the same binary build.

I don't see it, neither in the current trunk nor in the 24.0.91
pretest.  The binary was built by me, but I don't think a different
binary can produce such an effect on display.  The Info files in the
pretest are produced by whoever made the pretest, in this case Chong,
and are not supposed to be regenerated during the build.  However,
perhaps Christoph somehow ended regenerating them when he built the
binary you used, and maybe he used some different version of makeinfo.