Subject: Re: bug#10132: Help lilypond interleave scheme and lilypond code in guile 2.x

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 17:32:26 +0100

Andy Wingo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Ian and David,
>
> On Fri 25 Nov 2011 12:15, Andy Wingo <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On Fri 25 Nov 2011 11:37, David Kastrup <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> As I said: for this particular application, I have coded a rather
>>> inelegant and resource-grabbing workaround that really is not going to
>>> help performance since the intertwined Lilypond interpreter does not
>>> benefit from precompilation of mostly trivial lambda functions when the
>>> actual procedure-environment is unlikely to ever reference more than
>>> five variables.
>>
>> Understood.  Let's work to find a good solution in 2.0.
>
> 2.0 now has the-environment and local-eval again (though not
> procedure-environment).  Import the (ice-9 local-eval) module to have
> access to these forms.  Hopefully at this point we have solved this
> issue; please give it a try, and open a new bug if something comes up.

Currently the stable LilyPond release 2.16 is imminent (meaning that
we'll hopefully get it out within the month).  We don't support Guilev2
yet (there have been serious problems with macro dependencies for
precompiling .go files as far as I understand because interspersedly
defined macros were impossible to deal with in the apparently required
per-file independent compilation: I am not convinced of that
requirement, but the people actually working on it are, and the
corresponding large source rearrangements and occasionally discovered
new dependencies so far have not been able to get completed before being
obsoleted a few times already).

There is no clear time frame on when that will happen and whether it
will be feasible to require a version of 2.0 that supports local-eval
right away, but it will likely happen some time in the next half year.

And it will definitely be helpful for the long-term maintainability of
LilyPond to be able working with the-environment again and phase out the
current hack.

Thank you very much!

-- 
David Kastrup