Subject: bug#10129: closed (Re: Character FOO)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 10:38:02 +0000

Your bug report

#10129: 24.0.91; [PATCH] `C-u C-x =' should show position info

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
10129: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10129
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: Character FOO
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 12:34:08 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 08:58:21 -0800
> 
> Why not apply this patch as well, while you're at it:
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10129

Done.  I modified your patch slightly, mainly to make it more
consistent with what "C-x =" displays.  I also updated the doc string
to bring it in line with what is in fact displayed.  The actual patch
I committed is below.

Note that your patch was backwards; please in the future use

  diff -c OLD NEW

not the other way around.

Thanks.

=== modified file 'lisp/ChangeLog'
--- lisp/ChangeLog	2012-01-28 09:52:24 +0000
+++ lisp/ChangeLog	2012-01-28 10:27:28 +0000
@@ -1,3 +1,11 @@
+2012-01-28  Drew Adams  <[email-masked]>
+
+	* descr-text.el (describe-char): Show information about POS, in
+	addition to information about the character at POS.  Improve and
+	update the doc string.  Change "code point" to "code point in
+	charset", to avoid confusion with the character's Unicode code
+	point shown above that.  (Bug#10129)
+
 2012-01-28  Eli Zaretskii  <[email-masked]>
 
 	* descr-text.el (describe-char): Show the raw character, not only

=== modified file 'lisp/descr-text.el'
--- lisp/descr-text.el	2012-01-28 09:52:24 +0000
+++ lisp/descr-text.el	2012-01-28 10:27:28 +0000
@@ -376,12 +376,21 @@ This function is semi-obsolete.  Use `ge
 
 ;;;###autoload
 (defun describe-char (pos &optional buffer)
-  "Describe the character after POS (interactively, the character after point).
-Is POS is taken to be in buffer BUFFER or current buffer if nil.
-The information includes character code, charset and code points in it,
-syntax, category, how the character is encoded in a file,
-character composition information (if relevant),
-as well as widgets, buttons, overlays, and text properties."
+  "Describe position POS (interactively, point) and the char after POS.
+POS is taken to be in BUFFER, or the current buffer if BUFFER is nil.
+The information is displayed in buffer `*Help*'.
+
+The position information includes POS; the total size of BUFFER; the
+region limits, if narrowed; the column number; and the horizontal
+scroll amount, if the buffer is horizontally scrolled.
+
+The character information includes the character code; charset and
+code points in it; syntax; category; how the character is encoded in
+BUFFER and in BUFFER's file; character composition information (if
+relevant); the font and font glyphs used to display the character;
+the character's canonical name and other properties defined by the
+Unicode Data Base; and widgets, buttons, overlays, and text properties
+relevant to POS."
   (interactive "d")
   (unless (buffer-live-p buffer) (setq buffer (current-buffer)))
   (let ((src-buf (current-buffer)))
@@ -511,7 +520,25 @@ as well as widgets, buttons, overlays, a
             (setq composition nil)))
 
       (setq item-list
-            `(("character"
+            `(("position"
+               ,(let* ((beg      (point-min))
+                       (end      (point-max))
+                       (total    (buffer-size))
+                       (percent  (if (> total 50000) ; Avoid overflow multiplying by 100
+                                     (/ (+ (/ total 200) (1- pos))  (max (/ total 100) 1))
+                                   (/ (+ (/ total 2) (* 100 (1- pos)))  (max total 1))))
+                       (hscroll  (if (= (window-hscroll) 0)
+                                     ""
+                                   (format ", Hscroll: %d" (window-hscroll))))
+                       (col      (current-column)))
+                  (if (or (/= beg 1)  (/= end (1+ total)))
+                      (format "%d of %d (%d%%), restriction: <%d-%d>, column: %d%s"
+                              pos total percent col beg end hscroll)
+                    (if (= pos end)
+                        (format "%d of %d (EOB), column: %d%s" pos total col hscroll)
+                      (format "%d of %d (%d%%), column: %d%s"
+                              pos total percent col hscroll)))))
+              ("character"
                ,(format "%s (displayed as %s) (codepoint %d, #o%o, #x%x)"
 			char-description
                         (apply 'propertize char-description
@@ -522,7 +549,7 @@ as well as widgets, buttons, overlays, a
                   ,(symbol-name charset)
                   'type 'help-character-set 'help-args '(,charset))
                ,(format "(%s)" (charset-description charset)))
-              ("code point"
+              ("code point in charset"
                ,(let ((str (if (integerp code)
                                (format (if (< code 256) "0x%02X" "0x%04X")
                                        code)

Subject: 24.0.91; [PATCH] `C-u C-x =' should show position info
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:50:36 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

`C-x =' shows information about the current position, including its
relation to the buffer size, its column, the region limits, and
horizontal scroll amount.
 
That position info is missing from the *Help* display for `C-u C-x ='.
It is only shown in the message, which is ephemeral and can easily be
overwritten.
 
The attached patch remedies this by including the position information
in *Help*.  The patch also updates the doc string accordingly (and
corrects improper grammar such as "Is POS is taken...").

In GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2011-11-21 on MARVIN
 Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
 configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/include --ldflags
 -LD:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/lib'