Subject: bug#10127: 24.0.91; wrong window width calc for `C-u C-x =' when *Help* in separate frame

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:45:02 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 11:41:16 -0800
> 
> I really am delighted that you want to fix this in the best way
> possible.  My suggestions for fixing it were only that: suggestions.
> I have no problem if you ignore them, as I said.  My only concern is
> that the bug be fixed, not how the fix is implemented.

OK, let's give it another try.

No matter how you format the various fields of the information
displayed by "C-u C-x =", it will eventually happen that the window is
not wide enough to display something like this:

   foo bar: bla-bla-bla yak-yak-yak

in a single screen line.  When this happens, the current code does the
following:

  . it inserts a newline after the colon
  . it indents to the column just past the one occupied by the colon
  . it then inserts the remaining text at that point

The result is roughly this:

    foo bar:
             bla-bla-bla yak-yak-yak

There are several possible ways to change this.  One is just
displaying the value disregarding the window width, producing a
continuation line:

    foo bar: bla-bla-bla yak-\
 yak-yak

Another is to force word-wrap in the *Help* buffer, resulting in

    foo bar: bla-bla-bla \
 yak-yak-yak

Yet another is do the equivalent of M-q, with this result:

    foo bar: bla-bla-bla
             yak-yak-yak

There are others, I'm sure.

So which one is the best?