Subject: bug#10127: 24.0.91; wrong window width calc for `C-u C-x =' when *Help* in separate frame

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:29:44 -0800

In `describe-char', the max width of the displayed output is calculated
based on the width of the current window.  This makes zero sense,
especially when *Help* is displayed in a separate frame, and that case
includes but is not limited to the case where *Help* is a
special-display buffer.
 
To see this, make *Help* a special-display buffer, then, in some other
frame and buffer, do `C-u C-x ='.  Make that frame narrower and do it
again.  Repeat.  At some point of sufficient narrowness, you will see
this kind of (bizarre) formatting:
 
        character:
                   c (99, #o143, #x63)
preferred charset: ascii
                   (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
       code point: 0x63
           syntax:
                   w  which means: word
         category:
                   .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
      buffer code: #x63
        file code: #x63
                   (encoded by coding system undecided-unix)
          display:
                   by this font (glyph code)
    uniscribe:-outline-Lucida
Console-normal-normal-normal-mono-14-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1 (#x46)
...
 
Note the unnecessary newlines after `character:', `syntax:', and
`category:'.  This is uncalled for.  There is no reason to base
the display output width on the window width of the current buffer -
no relation.  That is so even in the case where the same frame is
used.  Please revert this annoying and unnecessary cleverness.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2011-11-21 on MARVIN
 Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
 configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/include --ldflags
 -LD:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/lib'