Subject: bug#10125: RFE: require and load-path-shadowing

From: Bastien <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 14:34:29 +0100

Achim Gratz <[email-masked]> writes:

> Achim Gratz writes:
>> Stefan Monnier writes:
>>> Yes, this subroutine is never directly called from C, so placing an
>>> advice should work just fine.

I thought coding conventions prevented advising primitives?
I does not look clean to advise `require' here, just for Org.

>   "Check whether a required feature has been shadowed by changing
> `load-path' after it has been loaded and reload that feature from
> current load-path in this case."

I don't understand why we need this.  

This is at best a workaround to fix dirty installations.

I updated Org's installation process yesterday:

  http://orgmode.org/org.html#Installation

I made it clear that the user, if she wants to install Org on top of
the pre-bundled version, must choose between on of the three methods.
For each method, I explain how to set up the load-path (if needed) and
org.el will load the correct org-loaddefs.el, resetting autoloads
correctly.

In org.el, no Org package is required before org-loaddefs.el is loaded.

> This takes care of a situation when Org is activated after some parts of
> it have already been loaded (maybe via autoload) and the load-path has
> been changed inbetween.

I don't see why this should happen.  Setting the correct load-paths is
the first thing user should do in their .emacs.el.

-- 
 Bastien