Subject: Re: bug#10125: RFE: require and load-path-shadowing

From: Achim Gratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 20:53:00 +0100

Stefan Monnier writes:
>>> I guess we could fork Emacs early on and keep this second process
>>> around as a "process from which to generate new clean slates".
>> I've been thinking about something like this for a while… if it worked
>> at least as well as starting a new Emacs instance on all platforms, I'd
>> favor this approach.
>
> IIUC "fork" is not really an option for w32.

For the intended application spawn should work as well?

> Yes, this subroutine is never directly called from C, so placing an
> advice should work just fine.

OK, I'll give it a try.

>> As long as the package is properly namespaced, why not allow for
>> removing all definitions pertaining to that entire namespace (features,
>> autoloads, definitions, …)?
>
> We could try that, as well, but it would only work for those packages
> that are "properly namespaced" (and there's no way to detect that
> AFAIK).

True, but a package might indicate if it is "one of those" and get the
appropriate treatment from package manager.

> Along the same lines, we could try to use unload-feature.

I thought this was potentially dangerous, but reading the docstring
again maybe not.  Let me try that as well.

Regards,
Achim.
-- 
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Factory and User Sound Singles for Waldorf Q+, Q and microQ:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSounds