Subject: bug#10125: RFE: require and load-path-shadowing

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 08:15:38 +0530

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> - outdated .elc file taking precedence over the new .el file can do
>   the same.

I find this warning quite useful.

Consider this, all happening because of what is in .emacs.

1. Something in .emacs causes org-x to be loaded from Vanilla Emacs.

2. Load path changed to point to a git checkout.

3. User does something which loads org-y.  org-y comes from (2).  The
   chain of events ends up with requiring an org-x.  org-x WASN'T
   RE-LOADED because the symbol is provided.  Ofcourse, it is provided
   from the wrong place.

In case of (3), a warning that says "I refuse to have mutiple
personality disorder".   A warning during Emacs initing could be
missed.  So if there is a command line option to trigger an abrupt-end,
we could advise the user to enable it and say "You have got a problem in
your init file.  Not the Org-mode that is distributed."

This will serve to remove endless amount of confusion.

What I am saying, even if we couldn't solve the problem cleanly, a
simple warning that says "Something fishy" will greatly reduce the user
complaints in the Org list.

I am not sure how much of what I typed makes sense.  But I type
nevertheless, people read it or ignore it.
--